The holidays are quickly approaching and “what’s for dessert” is the question on everyone’s mind after dinner. While many people have no trouble eating common desserts, people with IBS don’t have that luxury. If you’re looking to indulge this holiday season and not worry about your IBS, try making this low FODMAP lemon cake!
For cake batter:
1 cup of butter (softened)
1 cup of brown sugar
1 ½ cups of oat flour
4 tsp of baking powder
1 ½ cups powdered sugar
3 ½ tbsp of butter
1 lemon (same one from cake batter)
Fun fact: if you don’t have powdered sugar, you can blend regular sugar for 5 mins or until you get powdered sugar consistency.
1. Preheat oven to 350° (F). Grease cake tin and line with parchment paper.
2. Place butter for cake batter, brown sugar, oat flour, eggs, baking powder and the grated rind of the lemon into a bowl. Mix well.
3. Pour the cake batter into the baking sheet. Smooth it out until even. Place cake batter into the oven and bake for 50-60 mins. Make sure to watch the cake carefully and if it begins to brown then cover it with aluminum foil.
4. After the cake has baked, remove it from the oven and let it cool.
5. While the cake is cooling, mix together 3 ½ tablespoons of butter and the juice from the lemon. Add the powdered sugar, little by little until you get the consistency of frosting.
6. Spread the frosting on the cake evenly and place it in the refrigerator to set.